Monday, October 14, 2013

What's Cooking

Hello faithful readers (and not so faithful readers)!

Just a quickie post to share a few recipes I've made over the last few days.
Unfortunately, I've not taken any photos as I was too busy enjoying making and eating things!
That's the way of things though!

Breakfast


Not My Oatmeal. Planning to make it though. Check out  the recipe HERE.

Hayley's Ass Kicking Oatmeal


I'm into oatmeal lately. Super-dooper chock full of goodness oatmeal.
Even Devin noticed. And I quote, "You're on a health kick these days, eh?"

Ingredients
Quick Oats OR 1 Packet of Instant Oatmeal (flavor of your choosing)
2 Tbs Crunchy Peanut Butter
1/2 Banana, chopped
6 - 7 Dried Dates, chopped (and pitted)
Sprinkle of mixed seeds (ours are pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, flax, hemp, sesame, rape and linseed)

Directions
Cook the oatmeal to your liking (with water or milk, on the stove or in the microwave)
Dump in everything else and stir it all up.
Put it in your face.
Pat your full belly.
Take on the world.


Dinners (and leftovers for Lunch)


Not My Curry. But HERE is a great website with lost of veg curry recipes.


Simple Vegetarian Curry

Remember how yesterday I said I was going to make Mexican Sweet Potato Skins? Well I didn't. Instead I made Devin and I a vegetable curry with tempeh. It was really good, if we do say so ourselves. Here's the haps:

Ingredients
2 Tbs Olive Oil
1 Brick Tempeh, chopped into cubes
3 Carrots, chopped
1 Head of Greens (kale, collards, cabbage, whatevs)
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
6 Cloves Garlic, diced
1 Handful Cilantro (or in England, Coriander)
500 grams Tomatoes (chopped)
3 Tbs Medium Curry Powder
3 tsb Garam Masala (not necessary but helpful)
Juice of 1/2 lime
Chopped Cilantro (Coriander) for garnish
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Sauteé onion, carrots 4 - 5 minutes
Add tempeh
Add curry powder & garam masala sauteé 2 minutes
Add everything else + some water to help make it a party in the bowl.
Sauteé over low heat for 20 minutes
Aaaaaaaaand you're done.

Serve with rice (brown or basmati) or quinoa.
Eat with vigor



Not My Corn & Basil Soup. But HERE  is the recipe I kinda followed.

Corn and Basil Soup

I actually followed a recipe here. It was inspired by the corn and basil soup I had a Bill's Restaurant in Cambridge a few weeks ago. Theirs was so tasty and creamy I couldn't stop thinking about it. Mine didn't turn out as smooth (I think they must use a cheese cloth to strain away the corn bits) but just as tasty. 

Ingredients
4 Cups (rounded) of Sweet Corn (I used frozen)
2 TB olive oil
6 Garlic Cloves, minced
3 Celery Stalks, finely diced
4 Carrots, peeled and finely diced
1 Yellow Onion, finely diced
3.5 Cups Vegetable Stock
3 Bay Leaves
Fresh Thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp dried thyme)
1/3 Cup Basil leaves, chopped
Salt and Pepper

Directions
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the corn, garlic, celery, carrots, and onions and cook until slightly caramelized, 4-5 minutes.

Add the broth, bay leaves, and thyme. Season lightly with salt and pepper. 
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Remove the bay leaves and discard. 
Add chopped basil. Using an immersion blender, puree the soup. 
Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 6 (big) servings
Serve with homemade bread that you can magically whip up out of no where.
Or just toast store bought bread like we did.


Dessert! (because I'm not going to eat all healthy and not get dessert!)


Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites


Not My Banana Bites. Recipe HERE or HERE


Four words.
Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites.

Okay five words.
Make these now, thank me later.

Ingredients
2 - 3 Bananas, chopped into big-ish bites (5-6 bites per banana)
1/3 - 1/2 cup Chocolate Chips (dark or semi-sweet)
1/3 - 1/2 cup Peanut Butter (smooth or crunchy)
Toppings: Mixed nuts, seeds, coconut dried fruit

Directions
Chop bananas
Mix choco chips and PB together in microwave safe vessel
Depending on your 'wave 2 - 3 minutes, stirring together every 40 seconds or so until smooth and melty.
Dip bananas in chocolate PB mix.
Place in parchment lined freezer safe container (side by side or they'll stick together)
Sprinkle toppings.
Freeze for at least an hour, but better if frozen solid overnight (5 - 6 hours)


See? I'm making great use of our freezer! 
How did I ever live a year without you banana bites? Woooo doggie!

Hope you're inspired to make something in the kitchen!
Got some wonderful recipes? Share them with me.
Comment below or send me an email!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! These recipes all sound awesome! Stirring peanut butter into oatmeal?! Why didn't I think of that? But I did think of stirring coconut milk into oatmeal--try it!
    3 words: I'm so inspired!
    3 more words: You can't count ;-)
    Frozen Peanut Butter Banana Bites = 5 words
    Make these now, thank me later =6 words
    That's okay, though. I will make those soon and thank you now. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete