Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Homemade Annie's Goddess Dressing

Hey goddesses, this dressing makes you love the earth. Groovy . . .


When I'm in the states, one of my grocery staples is Annie's Goddess Dressing.
I'm in love with this dressing. I buy the big bottle and would buy an even bigger one if they sold it. 
I put it on salads, dip vegetables into it, throw it all over baked potatoes or casseroles. I've even been known to douse brussel sprouts and penne pasta in the stuff (the fridge was bare of anything else). 

The downside to my dressing addiction (besides it's silly name and über groovy image on the label) is the cost. It's expensive, to say the least. Since it's not sold here (UK) in stores I'd have to to order it online. According to the interwebs an 8oz bottle of Annie's in the UK would cost me £6.50. That's $10.54! Needless to say, I've been without it for over a year now and I'm tired of being in withdrawal. 

I found this recipe online and today I finally got around to making it.
I doubled the recipe and modified it just a wee bit from what is suggested.
And you know what? My addiction is back on! It turned out so tasty and so scrummy (one of my favorite Britishisims) . . . I already ate 3 spoonfuls . . . straight! Direct from the jar to my mouth (sorry if that's gross . . . maybe I'm hungrier than I realized?)

In my internet wanderings I also found a new (to me) vegan cooking blog, lunchboxbunch.com. There are so many good-lookin' recipes on that site . . . I'm afraid I've already Pinned half the blog to my Pinterest Recipe pages. If you're looking for some healthy cooking inspiration I suggest you check it out. And remember, you don't have to be vegan to cook vegan, you can always add in dairy whenever you feel like it (lord knows I do). 

But before you go to lunchboxbunch.com and start drooling over your keyboard, do yourself a favor and make this Homemade Annie's Goddess Dressing and save your self some $ as well as a trip to the grocery store. 

Here's what I did, you should feel free to modify things accordingly to fit your tastebuds. 

Ingredients

Makes 1 1/3 cups (at least mine did)

6 tablespoons tahini (sesame paste)
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
juice from 1 lemon
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large handful fresh parsley
5 tablespoons of water for thinning

The ingredients and to the left, my finished product.



Directions
Place all ingredients into a measuring cup or bowl (I used a 2 cup size glass pyrex) and mix with your immersion blender. If you don't have one of these, you're a sucker. Go buy one. (Incidentally, Amber Siepel, the donation of your immersion blender changed our lives! THANK YOU!) But seriously, if you don't have one you can either try it in your regular blender or food processor but I'm not sure the amount in this recipe is enough to make it work. If in doubt, dice the garlic and parsley and shake it all up in a jar.


I think my inner goddess just fainted with joy!

Go forth and eat this deliciousness!
And once you've done that, do your self a favor and watch Ohio State's Marching Band perform Michael Jackson's moonwalk en masse. (If you don't want to watch all 11 minutes jump to minute 4:00) It'll blow your mind almost as much as this dressing.

Happy Tuesday everyone!
Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. I played around with your recipe a little by adding green onions and more garlic cloves, and also a little **balsamic vinegar**
    Try adding a teaspoon or two to your next batch, I'm lucky enough to have a bottle of annie's for taste testing adding that little bit of balsamic at the end was perfect!

    Thanks for your recipe :D

    ReplyDelete