Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wednesday Reflection


Coton Reserve Walk

In the book, Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander the prologue opens with the quote:

A man should look for what is, 
and not for what he thinks should be.
- ALBERT EINSTEIN (1879-1955)

As you may have gleaned from my list of books in yesterday's post I'm often reading more than one book at a time, and frequently one or more of the books has a spiritual/meditative/psychology theme. Part of me is always searching for something a bit deeper, a bit juicier, a bit more at peace than what life offers on it's surface.  

My mind is constantly at work, telling me in every moment all the things I need to be thinking of, the future I should be preparing for, or the past I could be reminiscing about.  As I'm sure is true for most of you, it's rare that I find all of myself truly present, all my senses alive and my mind settled on what is happening at that moment.  Should I be lucky enough to be in any moment, it is even more rare that I am accepting the reality I am in.  Often I want to change it, make it better, or leave it.  It's difficult to just accept a moment for what it is, and to appreciate it, regardless of what our mind says it should, or should not be.  

August 20 - Market Street, Cambridge

That's why the quote by Einstein resonated with me when I opened the book Proof of Heaven. To look for WHAT IS, not for what I think IT SHOULD BE.  What a challenge!  To see reality and to not want it to be different.  

I think my search for this acceptance of reality is why I do so many of the things I do.  I love going into nature, taking long walks, painting landscapes, documenting life in journals, taking pictures, and helping people to find their own sense of self, their own sense of of inner resourcefulness and peace. This is what I enjoy doing for myself so it's no surprise that this is what I want to do for other people as a therapist.  

The study and contemplation of consciousness has been an interest of mine for over a decade now.
One simply doesn't move to Oakland, CA to attend JFKU's Arts & Consciousness, Transformative Arts MA program because of a passing interest in the field.  (Yes, I got my 1st MA from an Arts & Consciousness department. Deal with it.)  It's interesting how that study continues to evolve for me, but how many of my actions remain the same.  Taking pictures of moments I want to capture, even if the lighting isn't perfect.  Sitting on a bench in a park as the tourists flow past buildings from the 13th century.  Watching life unfold, as I stand up, or sit down, and and my breath moves in and out without thinking.

August 20 - All Saints Garden, Cambridge

And so I read things like Proof of Heaven and Loving What Is, subscribe to things like the Open Heart Project, and contemplate dropping in to centers called Inner Space.  I know how easy it is to make fun of things like this, to tease people and even make fun of myself for being interested in such groovy or wu-wu topics.  But as author Gretchen Rubin says, "The days are long, but the years are short."   I know this to be true, as the years are flying by me now and I want to do all I can to be here as the days are happening.  That's no small task.  

All of that said, what's my One Line for today?:

Doors open wide, bare feet, sunshine, bird-songs, acceptance and abundance. Getting my wu-wu on.


August 20 - All Saints Passage

4 comments:

  1. Hayley, I am so glad I know you. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are totally on the same page...just thinking about "days long/years short" quote today when Hannah got on the school bus. It is so true. Love you friend, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am struck by noticing that your One Line for today is almost a haiku! Traditionally it's written as three lines with five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third. You're so close! In any case, it strikes me as poetical.

    Doors open wide, bare feet.
    Sunshine, bird-songs, acceptance and abundance.
    Getting my wu-wu on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Getting the wu-wu on across continents! ~ S.W.

    ReplyDelete