Friday, August 30, 2013

Speaking English in England: Part 2



After yesterday's post a few friends, Anglophiles and former expats, left lovely additions to my list in the comments section. Hope you enjoy Part 2 of Speaking English in England! 


Thanks to Amber for the following! She's a Mum of two who recently moved home to Ithaca, NY so she experienced different turns of speech than I do. Miss you Amber!

Mom = Mum

Mail = Post

Glue Stick = Pritt Stick (it's a brand just like say Scotch tape)

Scotch Tape = Cello Tape

Cookies = Biscuits

Zucchini = Courgette

Eggplant = Aubergine

Cell Phone = Mobile

Supposed To = Meant To

Swimsuit (+goggles etc.) = Swimming Costume

Costume = Fancy Dress

Baked Potato = Jacket Potato

Vacation = Holiday

Soccer = Football

To Pick Up = Collect ("I have to collect my kids from school")

Yard = Garden

Dinner = Tea (not always, but often, "Shall I give your kids their tea?"= "Should I feed them dinner?")

Thrift Shop = Charity Shop

Shocked (or super surprised) = Gobsmacked (I LOVE this ONE!)



Thanks to my friend Demian, who I met on my study abroad program in France (USAC!) for these gems as well.


Baby Stroller = Pram

Elevator = Lift

Apartment = Flat

Trunk (of a car) = Boot

Flashlight = Torch

Cigarette = Fag


And a bit of slang for you:

Wanker = Tosser

Idiot / Jerk / Loser = Git (Thanks Sandee for this one!)



And a couple more that I thought up this morning:

Math / Arithmetic = Maths (yes, with an "s" on the end)

E.R (emergency room) = A&E (accident & emergency)

Diaper = Nappy

Drunk = Pissed

Stoked! (really excited or happy) = Chuffed ("I'm chuffed to bits!")




There's also the fact that words ending in 'a' they pronounce with an 'r'. But only when the next word starts with a vowel. For example:

"China" can be pronounced "Chiner"

"We are going to visit Chiner on holiday."

VS.

"For holiday, we are going to China."



And for those of you who just can't get enough of this silliness, I found a Wiki page that lists words from A-Z that are different between the two languages. Here's words A-L and here is M-Z

For fun, here's a video of Hugh Laurie on The Ellen DeGeneres Show talking about the difference between British slang and American slang. Go on, have a laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment