Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Tuesday in Cambridge

Is the day over already?
The sun is setting earlier and earlier . . . it's already dark outside, lights glimmering in the distance.
But what a lovely day it was (so far).


We woke up to sun-shiny skies (sun almost always = good day for me) and I managed to get my butt out the door before 9:00am for a nice long walk. Back home I was generally the first one up and out of the house well  thanks to a job with a regular schedule, now our roles have reversed and it's rare that I make much of myself before Devin leaves the flat. But I digress . . .

So, a long walk through the dappling sunlight, along mossy green fences, and below the last of the golden, golden leaves as they cling to the soon to be naked branches. Instead of listening to a podcast like I usually do, I used Songza and streamed some music to change things up a bit. (To my surprise, when Gettin' Jiggy With It, came on I got really, really happy. That song is legendary.)

From Burrell's Walk 

Once home I rushed through a shower and then headed right back out the door, this time on my way into town for the NVS (Newcomers and Visiting Scholars) coffee hour and talk. This week the talk was about the city of Cambridge and how rapidly it's growing. Currently it's a population of about 130,000 people, and by 2020 it's expected to double in size. Apparently Cambridge and the surrounding area is the fastest growing region in the UK. They have all the same problems that many growing towns have (too much traffic, lack of parking, not enough public transportation to meet demand, lack of affordable housing). We learned a bit about how the City Council is trying to meet all these challenges (A job I'm glad I don't have . . .) How do you preserve a medieval city while bringing it into the 21st century to serve modern times? People really romanticize Cambridge (with good reason) and there are millions of tourists that come here each year, but it's also a thriving community that has practical needs. It will be interesting to see how it changes throughout the years.

After the talk my friend Amber and I went to lunch at the Rainbow Café (the only exclusively vegetarian restaurant in town) and had a lovely lunch and nice chat (though I wouldn't recommend the soup Amber ordered; chickpea and roasted red peppers, she described it as "crunchy", which I don't think was the chef's intention . . . ) We ran a few errands in city center, stopping by the groovy store, then  fawning over the market's coffee and tea booth, and a quick trip to Marks & Spenser for some necessities (see below . . .)


Back home I immediately put my purchases at Marks & Spenser to work.
Remember that post where I mentioned Parisian Hot Chocolate?


It turned out pretty good, I have at least 1.5 cups leftover as that stuff is chronic! (very strong!)
I followed this recipe, and tried it with just 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar, but ended up adding the second as it was too bitter for me. Even with the 2nd Tablespoon it was just barely sweet. I think my chocolate was 100% bitter, so I had to add all the sweet myself (think Baker's chocolate).





Shortly I'll be heading back out to meet Devin and some of his lab-mates for dinner and Skyfall.
Did you know in the UK (and apparently in other EU countries as well) they have assigned seating in the movie theaters? Oh, which brings me to my other "necessity purchase":



Overall, Tuesday = A good day.
Hope the same was true for all of you!















No comments:

Post a Comment