Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Crustless Quiche

We got our box = Cast iron pans = Crustless Quiche in Cast Iron!

Whoot! Whoot!

So I was feeling uninspired about making dinner tonight, and contemplated just copying my friend Ida's dinner idea of having pasta (more on Ida in an upcoming post), and then I had the above epiphany.
I interwebbed around a bit and found a recipe that looked decent, but of course I had very few ingredients only the eggs, so using the recipes basic guidelines I made my own version of it.

Much to my surprise, and to Devin's high praises, it was a success!
Garlicy, oniony, sharp cheddar goodness.


And oops . . . I forgot to take pictures of the finished product.
Here's a sad attempt at a photo shoot, post-consumption.




Here's the scoop on the quiche:

5 Eggs (mine were medium)
1/4 c. Milk (or soy milk)

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 c. Sharp English Cheddar (I think this was key, as mozzarella would have been too bland)
1 Onion, chopped
3 Green onions, chopped
5 Garlic cloves, diced or mashed through a press
2 Handfuls of baby spinach
1 Handful cherry tomatoes, or about the size of a regular medium tomato*
2 tablespoons olive oil

*I'm not much of a scientist when it comes to recipe protocols, sorry for the imprecise measures.

Preheat oven to 350° F, (or 176.67° C) (stupid conversions).

Whisk together eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Once blended stir in cheese. Set aside.

Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in cast iron skillet, once warm swirl oil around skillet until sides and bottom of pan are coated. This will help your quiche not to stick.
Once you've done this (and your wrist is fatigued cause cast iron is h.e.a.v.y.), bring the oil up to medium sauté temperature and toss in the onion.
Cook onion for about 2 minutes.
Add green onions and cook for another minute.
Add tomatoes and garlic, cook until tomatoes start to wrinkle, then add spinach and cook until just wilted. Remove the hot mess from the heat.

Smash down all your sautéed veggies to the bottom of the pan and then pour the egg mixture over the top of everything making sure the liquid covers the whole surface. The veggies at the bottom will act as a pseudo-crust to your finished quiche.

Pop the pan into the oven and cook for around 25-35 minutes. Cooking time depends on the size of your cast iron pan, and how deep your quiche is. I used our big pan, so the quiche was shallow and was done in 30 minutes. Make sure it's fully cooked through and brown on top.

Remember, it'll keep cooking a bit once you pull it out of the oven as the cast iron retains the heat.

Serves about 6 people I'd say (*refer back to this above).
Serve with a green salad and tasty bread or toast. Or just eat it like it is, because it's that good!

Also, since we had breakfast for dinner tonight, I'd like to think we can have this for dessert. But alas . . . I don't have the right ingredients! Blimey!



P.S. Ida was upset by my lack of Bananarama Pancake photo from Saturday's post. I've updated the post so you can see what they look like. Ida is happy now.



2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite breakfasts, reminiscent of Pizzaiolo's frittata. I usually use all the little bits of leftover cooked vegetables that seem to accumulate. Roasted cauliflower is good, asparagus are great, a few potatoes add substance. Kale! Gruyere works great, as does fontina. I like to add a little dijon mustard to my egg mixture. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Pizzaiolo wanted to be like me! It's nice they copy the recipes I create. I'll have to try some of your tips, especially the potatoes and kale. Potatoes are plentiful around these parts! Thanks for reading Gayle!

      Delete