Saturday, November 10, 2012

Hayster Chippers


Well it's been a quiet Saturday here in Cambridgeshire, out here on the edge of the Fenlands. (name that loved/hated radio personality!) I managed to stay indoors all day today (which is gross, I know), but I had a busy week of cycling all over Cambridge, and it was nice to just tuck in and spend a Saturday with my sweetie. Today included reading books about painting techniques, researching a dozen or so Art Therapy leads, reading over 100 Apartment Therapy posts (woah), and of course baking cookies!


Tonight's sunset. Not exaggerated.


Before I get to the cookie business I have to share something with you which I discovered when reheating leftover Indian curry for lunch today. First of all, the Indian curry I'm referring to was mostly sauce from a jar. It's called Bhuna, and is made by a company called Sharwood's and is actually quite good when you're feeling lazy about making dinner (which for me of late is all too often). I lightly boiled some fingerling potatoes & carrots, blanched some green beans, sautéed an onion and some tempeh, and threw the whole lot together for a long simmer. We ate it over brown rice and it was decent. Good even. But today when it was time to eat it again I decided to add a fried egg to the top of it, and you know what? Genius move on my part! The yolk wasn't 100% cooked through, so it was just soupy enough to serve as an added bonus for the potatoes and tempeh for additional flavor. Mmmmmm. I might have to do that every time we have indian from now on.

Now onto the important matter of cooking making.
I'm pretty sure Devin named this recipe after me (he's the only one who calls me Hayster), though I don't remember what recipe it was based on or adapted from. All I know is it's pretty basic, so if you have a hankering to bake up some decent cookies and you don't have any fancy ingredients around, you'll likely have all of what this recipe calls for.





Preheat oven to 375° F (190° C)

Mix together:
1 Cup Butter, Softened
3/4 Cup White Sugar
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
2 Large Eggs
2 Teaspoons vanilla

In a separate bowl combine:
1 3/4 Cup Unsifted Flour
3/4 Cup Oatmeal
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt

Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into butter/egg/sugar/vanilla mixture.

Once combined, add:
1 Cup Walnuts, Chopped
11 1/2 oz Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Drop onto cookie sheets in heaping Tablespoons
Bake @ 375° F
Time: 9 - 13 minutes, until they begin to brown
Yield: 4 dozen cookies



I think my oven runs a bit hot (still getting used to cooking with electric instead of gas), so these babies turned out a bit funny looking but they are much better than the cookies I made last Saturday. (Did I post about those? . . . Nope!) Well then, coming up next, Last Saturday's cookies which also turned out funny thanks to this new oven and using dark brown sugar instead of regular.

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment