Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Kettle's Yard & Folk Museum

Two places you have to visit when you come visit us in Cambridge: Kettle's Yard and The Folk Museum. They are located directly next to one another and are adorable, beautiful, and fun places to spend an afternoon.

As part of the Newcomer's and Visiting Scholars group I went on a tour of both locations last Thursday. After a brief talk in The Folk Museum we were set free to wander about as we pleased at both venues. After a good bit of meandering, we made our way to The Punter for a cup of tea.



"The Folk Museum is housed in the former White Horse Inn, an 8 room building now containing exhibits that illustrae the work and everyday life of the people of Cambridge and the surrounding County over the last 300 years.  The displays include tools of various crafts and occupations, 19th century kitchen, toys and games, and local folklore." - Credit

Here are a few shots (some quite creepy in hindsight) from inside the museum:






My favorite of the two places was Kettle's Yard.
Oh. My. Gosh.



Maybe the contrast of the two is what won me over.  After wandering through the cramped, dark, completely filled rooms of the Folk Museum, walking into the light, spacious, aesthetically decorated space of Kettle's Yard was a welcome and comforting relief.
(* Majority of the photos below from Kettle's Yard Virtual Tour)










I wondered how on earth I'd ever translate to you what I experienced and learned at Kettle's Yard, but thankfully after a cursory internet search I found that other people already did the work for me.  Here are some great links about Kettle's Yard. If you only have time/interest enough for one link, look at the first one.  It best translates the feel of this beautiful home.

Virtual Tour of Kettle's Yard

Blog post about Kettle's Yard

Flicker Stream of Kettle's Yard

Some of the artwork on display inside the home/museum:






 


 




See why I like that house so much? Just makes me want to curl up with a book and a cup of tea. Occasionally staring out into the room at all the beautiful objects and works of art. I'm hoping to visit the house again soon when there are fewer people around so I can take my time and really enjoy being in the space.

All in all, a lovely day in this lovely town.
What a lucky girl I am.

Thanks for reading. 




2 comments:

  1. As an artist myself, I enjoy reading Philip Koch's sensitive writing about Edward Hopper and Andrew Wyeth, who along with Whistler and Rothko, are my favorite American painters.
    I don't live in the United States but have traveled and passed a short time there. But even with the little time spent in your beautiful country, especially in small-town America, I can relate to some of the poetical feel that Hopper and Wyeth had captured in their art, which is for me part of the attraction of their paintings.
    Browsing at wahooart.com the other day, as I do now and then, I find a good selection of Edward Hopper's work, http://EN.WahooArt.com/@/EdwardHopper ,in the big archive of Western Art, that customers can order online for canvas prints and even hand-painted, oil-painting reproductions can be made and sent to them.
    Hopper's surrealistic and depersonalized world is there again. Timeless, yes, as it is still there now in the roadside cafes and diners that I ate at all over America.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog Scott! I appreciate your comments about Kettles Yard!

      Delete