Friday, May 18, 2012

Don't Fix The Sadness

From our front porch at sunset


Last night after coming home from work I felt really sad.

All the changes we've been planning for these past two years are finally starting to come into motion.
I've never been so excited and so sad at the same time.  The strangest thing about all of this is when I share with people that I'm starting to feel sad about all the upcoming losses and transitions they immediately try to redirect my attention and focus on the happy and the good.  "But England will be such an adventure!"  "Think of all the new things you'll get to experience!"

Why are people so uncomfortable with experiencing loss, with allowing people to experience their sadness?

I'm learning that this transition isn't to be ignored, to be swept under the rug or packed in a box for later review.  This is all happening now and I want to experience every bit of it it as it washes over me in waves.  I'm so thankful for the fulfilling, dynamic and wonderful life I've had here in the Bay Area.  I don't know yet how to help this chapter draw to a close, and it likely won't be as graceful and tidy as I'd like it to be.  There will spontaneous tears, random acts of hugging, an abundance of laughter, and of course sadness.

Please don't fix the sadness, it isn't broken to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment