Sunday, January 15, 2012

Wedding Dresses


Phew!
I picked out my wedding dress, and suffice it to say, I'm glad that's over!

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, or bitchy . . . it was a fun and interesting experience and I had a great time with family and friends trying on dresses in Denver and in the Bay Area (Champagne and a breathtaking view of the skyline? Yes please!). It was however, quite overwhelming as it called into question so many things that I didn't anticipate! From silly little questions like, "What is my style?" to bigger questions like "What kind of wedding do we want to have? ".

Before getting engaged I'd barely flirted with thoughts of a wedding, let alone my own, and suddenly I found myself diving into a world of tulle, paper flower decorations, bunting and diamonds. For me it was much too much, and yet, I kept going deeper and deeper. The siren's call of the wedding industry kept bending my ear and I was listening.

After 2 cities, 4 different boutiques, 7 appointments, and something close to 35 dresses I did it.

I found the dress.

And it wasn't an ah-ha! This is it! THIS is THE dress moment.
It was more of a: I like this dress. It's really nice. It's comfortable & easy, it doesn't require any special underwear (score!), I can get into it without any help (another score!), and it's pretty. It makes me feel pretty. Oh! And it costs less than my graduate school tuition? Done.


If I could give advice about wedding dress shopping to anyone it would be this:
#1. Don't freak out.
#2. It doesn't have to be a "wedding dress".
#3. Don't freak out.
#4. Stop thinking so much and just pick one.

Cynical advice? Maybe. But it worked for me, and I got a sweet dress, if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment