Friday, October 7, 2011

Book Club - July

Host: Jessie Murphy
Date: July 20th, 2011
Book: The Island, by Victoria Hislop
Food Theme: Greek food, of course!





















As this is a "catch up" post, I don't actually remember very many details of the book club evening.
I do remember that we celebrated the birthday of one, Ms. Sarah Lusaridi!! Teresa made some tasty cupcakes and everyone else brought tasty Greek food treats including, spanikopita, greek salad, tzatziki sauce and pita, and yigandes plaki and/or fasolakia lathera (I can't remember which we actually ate . . . sorry! Bad Blogger, BAD!)

I really enjoyed this book as it allowed my mind to really escape into Greece, a country I have only fond memories of. I learned things about the impact leprosy had on the lives of individuals, and how the disease transformed families and perhaps the history of small towns (keeping in mind that the book is historical fiction, not non-fiction). The book gave me a brief glimpse into how far medicine has come in a relatively short time, and lends a bit of hope as to what we may accomplish in the years to come in regards to disease and chronic illness.

Yea Book Club! I Heart Books!

July Book: A Visit From the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan

No comments:

Post a Comment