Sunday, February 27, 2011

Will I?

I finally made it to one of my all time favorite yoga classes again yesterday. Devin and I have been pretty good about going to yoga once a week for the past 6 months, but it's usually at night after our days are done. This particular class meets at noon or at 7pm in a location far across town, both of which are obstacles to attending. Regardless, we made it to class yesterday at noon, and thank goodness we did cause I've been in a foul mood lately and this class can really "blow the stink off", as my grandmother used to say. 

Kimber Simpkins is the instructor of this fantastic Anusara practice, and I find that her classes always challenge and reward me in a different way, each time. Kimber pairs each class with a theme, or as I like to think of it, a teaching. Yesterday she gently led us through asanas as she spoke about the idea of "Will I?", a question which elicits intrinsic motivation, as opposed to our usual approach of "I will.", extrinsic motivation with means to produce an outcome.  

She spoke of this article, a study by Ibrahim Senay and Dolores Albarracin. If you don't feel like downloading the full PDF, I found this article by Jonah Lehrer which gives a summary about the research study. (Sidenote: Jonah Lehrer is a contributor to Radiolab. If you haven't listened to Radiolab you should. Podcasts available for free at their website.) I find the idea of 'Will I' to be an invitation toward doing something, a question that creates space around something you might want to accomplish, rather than the usual 'To Do' list of things I "should" do. For someone like me, (super organized, overwhelmed with a sense of obligation of things that need to be done) my 'To Do' list hangs over me like a heavy blanket of dark clouds. Reframing the list with the opening of "Will I?" is like watching the dark clouds begin to break apart and catching a glimpse of sunshine on the other side. 


Thanks Kimber for offering a great teaching for my mind and body. I sure needed it.


And for those of you reading this, please hop on over to Kimber's blog, Finding Fullness: How one woman found yoga, eased her inner hunger, and started loving herself.
She's working on getting her first book published, and if you like what you read, go ahead and "Follow" her to support her toward this end.

No comments:

Post a Comment