Saturday, February 19, 2011

Wearing Different Hats

I make art every day, but I never make art that I consider "mine". 

You might think that someone with a B.A. in Studio Art, an M.A. in Transformative Arts (before you ask, click on the link) finishing another M.A. in Art Therapy, and working as an Artist-in-Residence at a children's hospital that I live and breathe art. In some ways I guess I do . . . However, the days where I made a big mess all of my own, where I got lost in the process and didn't know who or what might emerge out on the other side of an afternoon in a studio were a long time ago. 

It's rare that I take the time to make something for the simple sake of making something, and I miss it. This past month I managed to squeeze in a few moments of art-making that were mine, all mine. While I gave some away as gifts, mailed some as postcards, and donated some to a craft sale for the hospital's Family Resource Center, I still made something because I wanted to. Not to teach, not to learn, not because it was homework, but because I wanted to. Here are some photos to prove it.

Valentine's Day Craft Sale Donation


Wedding gift for a friend

Potential future painting . . .

. . . and another potential painting . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment