Saturday, February 19, 2011

Good Eats

There's one television show I watch more consistently than any other, Good Eats with Alton Brown. It's a cooking show, but better. In one episode you may:
- Learn where a food comes from
- A history of how it's been prepared throughout time and across cultures
- How to pick the best one
- How to store it and avoid spoilage
- What's going on with it at a molecular level
- Tasty ways to prepare it
- And the best of all, sock puppets! to put it all into one entertaining context.

While I often don't follow the recipes he makes on the show, he inspires me to get into the kitchen and play around. This past month we've cooked a bit, but I've been bad about documenting the tasty treats we've made. Here are a few things we've made though. And mmmmm hmmmm they were, as Alton says, "Good Eats".

Below:
- Meyer Lemon Pasta from Phoenix Pastificio
- Pizza Dough: Devin's recipe

Grandma Holmes' Molasses Cookies:


Mix:
2/3 c. oil
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg (or vegan egg replacer)

Mix and Add to Above:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves
pinch of salt


Form 1" balls and roll in sugar. Cook on nonstick sheet for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
(For V-day I rolled them in red sugar sprinkels and pinched them into heart shapes)

Meyer Lemon Pasta


Meyer Lemon Pasta with Squash, Parsley and Asiago
Pizza! Garlic, Basil, Bell Pepper, Mini-Shitake, Mozzarella
Devin has turned into quite the dough-pro


Buttermilk Biscuits (no idea what recipe I followed . . .)
Grandma Holmes' Molasses Cookies (Devo' Favorite)

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try all if these! Dans a superfan of molasses cookies so he will be so happy! :) Do you make your own bread? If you have a fool proof recipe pass it on. I just switched to making the frozen kind (kinda like brown & serve rolls) but I'd like to (eventually) make my own dough. I have to say though that even the frozen dough is so much better than regular bread!!!

    ReplyDelete