Monday, January 17, 2011

The Slow Burn of January

I keep saving this list as a "draft" thinking I'll expand on it to make it a nice narrative, but let's face it, school starts this week so it's now or never.  If I want this blog to stay alive in some form, I'll just have to do it, even if it's not exactly how I want it to be. With that said, here's some stuff I've been up to lately. It's a good time.

- Dynamic Stick Yoga: "Dynamic Stick Yoga employs sticks (usually bamboo) of varying lengths to propel you into greater expansion and deepen your yoga practice. Dynamic Stick allows the yogi to hold poses for a longer duration, creating beneficial muscle memory and providing space to deepen the posture." Thanks website. Basically, it's a fun new way to do the same old poses we're used to doing, but with some help! Devin and I have really liked it and it's kicked our butts.

- Book Club: Something I've been participating in with a small group of friends for over two years now! (See previous post) Last week we had some tasty desserts!


- Bean and Leek Cassoulet: Thanks to Wes and Katelyn for inviting us over Saturday night for a tasty vegan dinner! They made us this fantastic dish, which I'd like to make in the near future. The link above takes you to the blog of someone I don't know (Thanks stranger!), but it has pictures and the recipe of what Wes and Katelyn made. The recipe can be found in a cookbook I'd like to get as well, Veganomicon!

- "Almost A Powerbar, Cookies": Made one of my favorite cookies to share with Wes and Katelyn from the cookbook The Garden of Vegan. In the book they're called Rachel's Louisville Cookies or something, but I've taken the liberty of renaming them. They are so dang good, and minus the wee bit of butter and brown sugar, good for you!

-Individual ATx: That's code for Individual Art Therapy! Last week I had my first two individual sessions with two students at my practicum site. Both sessions went really well and I'm excited to finally have individual sessions underway! I also had a few really interesting sessions at the hospital with some new oncology patients. Yea for Art Therapy!


 
- 9.35 mile hike through Tilden & Wildcat Canyon: On Sunday Devin and I decided to take advantage of the weather (65 and Sunny!) and take a long hike through these two parks. We took our time and had a little picnic about halfway through, the whole trek taking abut 4 hours. Photos below for your viewing pleasure.





- Gardening: Finally got back out into our wee little yard and did some gardening, or rather weeding and cleaning. Got our little burm all spruced up, even though soon it'll be covered in fallen leaves and more clover. It was great to get my hands back in the dirt!

- Cabinet iPhone: While I worked on projects, Devin had a project of his own. Devo has turned his first iPhone into a remote/recipe holder/volume control/stereo which we can access right next to our stove. With a few swipes and taps we have recipes at our fingertips and tunes blasting through our abode! (Insert grunting man noise here)
- Farmers Market: On Saturday we took a walk uptown to Berkeley (about a 4 block walk from our house) and wandered through the market. We didn't need anything but were on a hunt for cookies and so we walked out of there with a bag of Kettle Corn, fresh Meyer Lemon Pasta, and the sought after Pecan Praline Cookies.

- Tempeh and Mushroom Stroganoff: I made this tonight after drooling over it since finding it on the free Whole Foods Recipe app on my phone. I made the veggie gravy and veggie Worcestershire sauce from scratch (patting self on back), and the whole thing came out super tasty. Devin and I just laid on the couch burping after noming two servings down, apiece. Urp.

Phew! Looking back on this week I'm impressing even myself with all that I cram into 7 days! And I'm getting this post up just in time to start another week. Hope the few of you who read this thingy are having a lovely day. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. So jealous of your weather! It will be another 4 months before we will be gardening or checking out the farmers markets around here...

    ReplyDelete