Sunday, January 9, 2011

One Week Down, 51 More To Go

Phew. That was only one week? Goodness me. Felt more like two, or three. Bouncing between 6th and 7th graders at a middle school to then gathering a group of 2-24-year-olds at the hospital split me right in half, in mind and and body. After being away from these two jobs for a period of time, I return to them with a fresh perspective, as if seeing what I'm doing for the first time . . . and suddenly I realize, no wonder I feel CRAZY sometimes! These populations are really hard to work with! 
Luckily, amidst all of the renewed chaos there was much tasty food, successful contour drawing lessons, a rock band in the living room, and many birthdays to celebrate! 


Best Dinner of the Week
Early in the week we fried up some tofu, sprinkled it with nutritional yeast, wok-ified some collard greens with sesame oil and lemon, and mashed potatoes with real sour cream and green onions. All of that topped off with glass of "Beaker Squeak", a blend we made at this fun little winery in Sonoma over Thanksgiving, this meal won the contest for my favorite meal of the week. 


 


 Throughout the week the junior high students continued to practice contour drawings. Many students became wildly successful with this technique, while others just couldn't make the connection between what their eye was seeing and what their hand was doing on the paper.  It was interesting to see how easy it was for some and how nearly impossible it was for others. With some students the eye/hand disconnect was almost tangible, feeling similar to when like poles of magnets repel from one another. 
It really makes me want to read about drawing, neuroscience, and what is happening in the brain as you try to draw from life, as opposed to drawing from the mind. Here are a couple of books I want to explore in relation to this: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, by Betty Edwards and Art Therapy and Clinical Neuroscience, by Hass-Cohen, Carr and Kaplan. I'm struck by how much I still don't know about this field, and excited to continue to learn about it all . . .


In other news, my dear father and brother both celebrated their birthday's this Friday, January 7th! Happy Birthday to both of you again! I feel so blessed to have you in my life. If we lived closer to one another I would have made you the same thing I made my friend Elaine (who is celebrating her birthday TODAY!): Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel! But alas, since you guys weren't here, we had to eat the whole thing ourselves last night. 


Today brings the weekend to a close, so we started the day off with the Sunday ritual of coffee, tea, and banana pecan pancakes. Later there will be the usual grocery store run, putting the order together for the CSA box, list making, lesson planning and hopefully some form of exercise before the day runs out. Devin spoke of making pizza dough, I want to clip some images from magazines to add to my "collage starter" box for the ankle-biters at the hospital. Tonight we'll likely watch the rest of The Lord of The Rings movie that we started on Friday night. It is, afterall, winter so one is required to bundle up on the couch with a cup of tea and watch epic trilogies, right? Right.

2 comments:

  1. How was the Beaker Squeak? Our Fifteen Plus could have used a little more plus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think of the Edwads book. I have it and have wanted to read it for the last 12 years. Wait, does that mean that I want to read it?

    ReplyDelete